Facebook charged from my credit card without my awareness

July 24, 2011 by
Filed under: tech watch

I’m trying to install a word press plugin, and clicked this link to create a facebook app: Facebook Connect Setup.

Facebook says you must activate the application by mobile number or credit card on the setup page.

After I input my credit card number and confirmed.  I received a notification of 1.0.1 dollar transaction fee online for my credit card.

But facebook mentioned nothing about activation fee or any other charging terms on the setup page. I tried find a page to complain on facebook.com for about half an hour, but find nothing.

I’m browsing facebook by a proxy, not sure whether it is related to the proxy by not displaying any pricing terms on the setup page.

Anyway, it is really frustrating being charged without authorization.  I’m doubting is it things done by facebook as a company praised to be better than google to charge its users secretly?

Could anyone help me to contact their customer service?

Digg This
Reddit This
Stumble Now!
Vote on DZone
Bookmark this on Delicious
Bookmark this on Technorati
Post on Twitter
Google Buzz (aka. Google Reader)

Comments

13 Comments on Facebook charged from my credit card without my awareness

1. JJ on Sun, 24th Jul 2011 11:04 pm
  2. Are you sure you were “charged” or is it just an authorization hold? A lot of times to verify the credit card a merchant puts a charge for $1 through but it disappears a few days later…

3. euler on Mon, 25th Jul 2011 10:38 am
  4. Thanks, JJ, Rachel, I’ll check the statement.

5. euler on Mon, 1st Aug 2011 10:27 pm
  6. I’ve checked the statement, and no charge record. Thanks, my friends.

7. Rachel on Sun, 24th Jul 2011 11:08 pm
  8. If the charge was $1.00 (the charge formatting was a little unclear), this is likely a typical verification charge used to verify that your credit card information is valid. Most services void these charges as soon as they get a success/decline message from payment gateway processing the transaction, and you should see this charge removed from your statement in about 24 hours.

9. Eric on Sun, 24th Jul 2011 11:45 pm
  10. I don’t know about facebooks, but other companies that do the same thing just do an authorization and then reverse it. The process takes 3-5 business days and then disappears from your statement. This is not a charge, but an authorization, so you generally only see this on the fine print on these types of services. (Amazon is another that does this, though they might warn about it).

11. euler on Mon, 25th Jul 2011 10:37 am
  12. Thanks Eric, I do use paypal and amazon, they will warn about it.

And when I attempt to create a facebook application, it mentioned nothing about charging and price; but I’ve heard that a facebook application will cost about 100-300 dollars, now I am not sure how much they will charge….

13. Anonymous on Sun, 24th Jul 2011 11:50 pm
  14. Facebook deserves a lot of criticism, but certainly not over this.

When dealing with companies that handle money for you (for example Google Checkout or Paypal) it is extremely common to see a test charge of less than $2.00 made so that the company can verify that the account information is correct. The charge is cancelled once they determine that your account information is correct and your account is active.

You should have seen this many times before if you have used other payment services and you have agreed to this as this is mentioned in Facebook’s terms of service.

15. vin on Mon, 25th Jul 2011 12:46 am
  16. First what heck kind of an amount is “1.0.1”

17. vin on Mon, 25th Jul 2011 12:47 am
  18. Second if there’s no way to contact then call your bank or cc company and request a chargeback.

Sorry for the double reply

19. euler on Sun, 7th Aug 2011 7:33 pm
  20. Thanks, all my friends. I checked the statement of last month, no fee charged by facebook.

21. Ian on Sat, 22nd Oct 2011 6:46 pm
  22. Non authorised and illegal charges from Facebook found on my credit card today. Card cancelled – might close the FB account too

23. euler on Mon, 24th Oct 2011 11:28 am
  24. Ian, facebook should return back the charge soon. Don’t worry about it. If FB told us it would be more comfortable.

25. Paul Ronco on Fri, 24th Feb 2012 9:36 am
  26. This has nothing to do with Facebook. It is an alias being used by a hacker who has stolen your credit card number by some online means. This could be caused by malware or viruses, an unsecure merchant website that has let its encryption license lapse, an unsecure browser or non-updated Operating System, or a phishing website, among other security vulnerability exploits. When it happened to me, in addition to the Facebook.com preauthorization for 1.00 with the CA phone number that went to nowhere, 650-543-7818, I also saw a $1.01 preauthorization charge to “CC@Google.com” at the same time, with no followup number, but also in CA. When anything like this happens, it is imperative that you close your account number immediately and have a new card number generated. Even if the hackers don’t charge anything to your account right away, they know your number and CVV2 code now, and can activate its use at any time. It’s also extremely important that you have your computer scanned for malware and spyware thoroughly by at least more than one free online scanner, I would recommend Eset and Avast! free, followed by MalwareBytes, Spybot search and destroy, and Superantispyware. Better yet, if you know how, just backup, format and reinstall your computer from scratch, or have someone do it for you.