Thoughts on search engine,cloud,big data,linux,java,lucene,hadoop

Setup your cloud server in 3 minutes with Xen 4.1 on Ubuntu 11.10

Filed under: cloud,linux,virtualization — euler @ 7:23 pm November 2, 2011

Ubuntu support xen officially since 11.10. It is really easy to install the packages. Although some issues should be fixed manually, it is a painless experience. Here’s the steps to setup your cloud server in 3 minutes with Xen 4.1 on Ubuntu 11.10.

1. Install xen hypervisor and utilities

sudo apt-get install virtinst virt-viewer virt-manager

2. Restart os, choose the xen kernel, verify xen installation
# xm info
# brctl show

3. Config your xend
$ sudo vim /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

comment out (xend-unix-server yes) at the file, that means make sure the following line exists or been added :
(xend-unix-server yes)

#vi ~/.bashrc , add the following line:

export VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI="xen:///"

4. Restart, choose the xen kernel, and verify libvirt

# virsh version

Compiled against library: libvir 0.8.3
Using library: libvir 0.8.3
Using API: Xen 3.0.1
Running hypervisor: Xen 4.0.0

Conguratulations, all packages installed successfully.

5. Run virtual machine manager to manage your vms.

# virt-manager

Then you will see the screen virtual machine manager screen:

virtual machine manager for xen 4.1 in ubuntu 11.10

virtual machine manager for xen 4.1 in ubuntu 11.10

Create virtual machine in virt-manager,

error occur when finish creation, and show something like:
if ret is None:raise libvirtError(‘virDomainCreateLinux() failed’, conn=self)
….
/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm: ….

that means qemu-dm could not be found, try to fix it:

#mkdir /usr/lib64/xen -p
#cp /usr/lib/xen-4.1/* -r /usr/lib64/xen/

then continue to finish creation of the virtual machine, still error occured, and show something like:
libvirtError: POST operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon: (xend.err …
or something like this:

libvirtError: POST操作失败: xend_post:来自 xen 守护进程的错误:<Fault 3: ”>

check the error log,  it will give you some clues:
# less /var/log/xen/xend.log

the log shows error occured and logged at /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-demo.log, check it:
# less /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-demo.log

it says /usr/share/qemu/keymaps/en-us could not be found, the keymaps really does not exist in my disk.
and find it at /usr/share by :
#ls /usr/share/qemu (and press Tab, it shows qemu-linaro exist)

so just copy it to fix:
#cp -r /usr/share/qemu-linaro/ /usr/share/qemu

then continue to finish the vm creation. Wow, it works!

virutal machine running at ubuntu 11.10 with xen 4.1

virutal machine running at ubuntu 11.10 with xen 4.1

Digg This
Reddit This
Stumble Now!
Vote on DZone
Bookmark this on Delicious
Bookmark this on Technorati
Post on Twitter
Google Buzz (aka. Google Reader)

52 Comments

• Great post!

Saved me lots of time.
    Only the:

export VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///”
    should be:

export VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///”

Thanks alot!

Comment by pawloch — November 7, 2011 @ 1:54 am

• 非常感谢。借助你的帖子,我也解决了“POST operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon: ”的问题。

我的问题在于,/usr/share/qemu根本不存在。我用的是Ubuntu 11.10,通过如下命令可以安装所需的文件:
    sudo apt-get install qemu-common

Comment by shining365 — November 17, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

• You have copied the same line twice: export VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///”
    Please write the appropiate one

Comment by Álvaro — November 17, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

• It’s a problem caused by wordpress, neither bug of the author nor of pawloch.

Comment by euler [weibo] — November 21, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

• So the line that is NOW written in this post is correct I suppose, doesn’t it?

At least when I search on the internet it gives the same line

Comment by Álvaro — November 22, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

• Yes, I’ve updated the line by escaping the character.

Comment by euler [weibo] — November 24, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

• I have done everything from your message but vm creation is still unsuccess.
    After copying keymaps I’ve got next errors in “/var/log/xen/qemu-dm-demo.log”:

domid: 3
    -c config qemu network with xen bridge for
    tap3.0 virbr0
    Using file /var/lib/libvirt/images/test1.img in read-write mode
    Using file /mnt/data/software/windows/System/wxphe.iso in read-only mode
    Watching /local/domain/0/device-model/3/logdirty/cmd
    Watching /local/domain/0/device-model/3/command
    Watching /local/domain/3/cpu
    char device redirected to /dev/pts/1
    qemu_map_cache_init nr_buckets = 10000 size 4194304
    shared page at pfn feffd
    buffered io page at pfn feffb
    Guest uuid = a8783bdc-b921-cc44-4cdd-b179ce49481a
    Time offset set 0
    xen be core: xen be core: can’t open gnttab device
    can’t open gnttab device
    Register xen platform.
    Done register platform.
    platform_fixed_ioport: changed ro/rw state of ROM memory area. now is rw state.
    xs_read(/local/domain/0/device-model/3/xen_extended_power_mgmt): read error
    cirrus vga map change while on lfb mode
    mapping video RAM from f0000000
    platform_fixed_ioport: changed ro/rw state of ROM memory area. now is ro state.
    xs_read(): vncpasswd get error. /vm/a8783bdc-b921-cc44-4cdd-b179ce49481a/vncpasswd.
    medium change watch on `hdc’ (index: 1): /mnt/data/software/windows/System/wxphe.iso
    I/O request not ready: 0, ptr: 0, port: 0, data: 0, count: 0, size: 0
    Log-dirty: no command yet.
    vcpu-set: watch node error.
    xs_read(/local/domain/3/log-throttling): read error
    qemu: ignoring not-understood drive `/local/domain/3/log-throttling’
    medium change watch on `/local/domain/3/log-throttling’ – unknown device, ignored

Can you help?
    Thank you in advance.

Comment by Konstantin Kurushin — November 29, 2011 @ 12:10 am

• 他最后已经说了,有个这样的文件夹/usr/share/qemu-linaro
    应该时新版 文件夹名字不叫qemu,叫qemu-***什么什么的,
    复制一下就可以了,他已经写的相当详细了

Comment by wongkey — November 30, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

• thanks a lot,this article helps me a lot.

Comment by wongkey — November 30, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

• after restarting no option to chose xen in grub..help..!!

Comment by Tushar — December 3, 2011 @ 1:18 am

• w.r.t. my previous comment i got it. jst needed to install linux-image-server

Comment by Tushar — December 3, 2011 @ 1:29 am

• Hi,
    Great post, this is spot on. The only issue I had was not getting the grub menu to boot into Xen kernel. Stupid thing, hold down shift when grub loads, then menu will display and you can choose the Xen Kernel.

Comment by G-Unit — December 7, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

• I did get the grub entry by ” apt-get install linux-image-server”
    There were actually 2xen entries xen-4.1-i386 and xen-4.1-amd.
    Then again there was another grub entry after selecting either one of them. Selecting the linux 3.0.0.14pae with xen entry i login.
    But
    ” # xm info “gave me this error:
    root@nupur-Inspiron-N5010:~# xm info
    Error: Unable to connect to xend: No such file or directory. Is xend running?

Any suggestions.

Comment by Nupur — January 4, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

• so the env var should be eq to xen:double_forward_slash
    or xen:triple_forward_slash ??

Unexpected error:

Please report to xen-devel@lists.xensource.com
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/xm”, line 8, in
    main.main(sys.argv)
    File “/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/../lib/python/xen/xm/main.py”, line 3983, in main
    _, rc = _run_cmd(cmd, cmd_name, args)
    File “/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/../lib/python/xen/xm/main.py”, line 4007, in _run_cmd
    return True, cmd(args)
    File “”, line 1, in
    File “/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/../lib/python/xen/xm/main.py”, line 1518, in xm_importcommand
    cmd = __import__(command, globals(), locals(), ‘xen.xm’)
    File “/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/../lib/python/xen/xm/new.py”, line 26, in
    from xen.xm.xenapi_create import *
    File “/usr/lib/xen-4.1/bin/../lib/python/xen/xm/xenapi_create.py”, line 24, in
    from lxml import etree
    ImportError: No module named lxml

so apt-get install python-lxml resolved problem
    thanks for great POST

Comment by Marek — January 15, 2012 @ 8:07 am

• Great article but I’m still stuck where a few other people are. Fresh install of 11.10 and this is what I get:

$ sudo virsh version
    Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using API: QEMU 0.9.2
    error: failed to get the hypervisor version
    error: internal error Cannot find suitable emulator for i686

I commented out the line I was suppose to comment out (meaning, take out the # ? because the default file has the line already commented out, as in, there’s a # there already) and added export VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///” where it goes.

Any help would be great.

Comment by Sky — January 18, 2012 @ 8:37 am

• I have installed all the modules/packages, etc.
    Finished successfully step 4

When I start with step 5, I cannot get it working, Gives some ~GTK error (I am default booting up in the Shell mode)

PS: When I boot up via the XEN, I get into shell mode, not GUI, can anyone tell me what may I have missed in the installation and obviously how to repair up to get the GUI of Ubuntu even through XEN.

Comment by Sridutt — January 29, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

• @sky: can u help me out if you have found solution to your problem. I am facing the same problem .

Comment by V@IN — January 30, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

• @cihan: I am facing the same problem as you
    ~$ virsh version
    Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using API: Xen 3.0.1
    Cannot extract running Xen hypervisor version
    if any one can help me

Comment by V@IN — January 30, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

• You just have to place export VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///” at the beginning of the #vi ~/.bashrc file

Comment by V@IN — January 31, 2012 @ 1:02 am

• Unable to complete install: ‘POST operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon: (xend.err “Error creating domain: device model ‘/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm’ not found”)’

I other major issue is i didn’t get this error at beginning
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError(‘virDomainCreateLinux() failed’, conn=self)
    ….
    /usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm: ….

that means qemu-dm could not be found, try to fix it:

even though i didn’t get it i have done following
    #mkdir /usr/lib64/xen -p
    #cp /usr/lib/xen-4.1/* -r /usr/lib64/xen/

My machine is 32 bit – i386
    so guide me ..
    i get this
    less /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-demo.log
    /var/log/xen/qemu-dm-demo.log: No such file or directory
    please guide me …

Comment by V@IN — January 31, 2012 @ 1:18 am

• Hi –
    I’m trying this install on my ubuntu 11.10 system and getting the follow errors.

$ sudo apt-get install xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 xen-utils-4.1 xenwatch xen-tools xen-utils-common xenstore-utils
    Reading package lists… Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information… Done
    Package xen-tools is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
    bash-completion

Package xen-utils-common is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Unable to locate package xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64
    E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64′
    E: Unable to locate package xen-utils-4.1
    E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘xen-utils-4.1′
    E: Package ‘xen-tools’ has no installation candidate
    E: Package ‘xen-utils-common’ has no installation candidate
    E: Unable to locate package xenstore-utils

Has anyone else seen this? What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks
    –Shirley

Comment by Shirley — February 1, 2012 @ 1:50 am

• In third step it is about editing of two files.
    If the second one gives as follows it would be more clear.

#vi ~/.bashrc

Then write this line in opened file.

export VIRSH_DEFAULT_CONNECT_URI=”xen:///”

Comment by rum — February 1, 2012 @ 10:36 am

• I pull packages from http://packages.ubuntu.com/
    and installed them.

Had trouble running xm info. Got:
    /etc/bash_completion.d/xm: line 3: have: command not found

Found link, http://www.schuerig.de/michael/blog/index.php/2007/02/24/gem-bash-completion/, which talked about missing “have” function. So created /etc/bash_completion/have file which contains:

have()
    {
    unset -v have
    PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin type $1 &>/dev/null &&
    have=”yes”
    }

This got ride of the error, but the “xm info” command did not generate any output.

Suggestions?

Comment by Shirley — February 2, 2012 @ 7:34 am

• After rebooting and entering the grub boot menu I get a Xen 4.1-i386 option and after selecting that option I get:

Xen 4.1-i386 and linux 3.0.0-15 generic-pae
    Xen 4.1-i386 and linux 2.6.38-13 generic-pae

Anyone I choose ends up in full reboot… no log at all.
    Did this happen to anyone else?
    Could someone fix this?

Thanks in advance…

Comment by Lichi — February 4, 2012 @ 3:36 am

• since you are using 32 bit i386, in the install command, replace amd64 with i386, and shall copy the xen folder to /usr/lib/xen after installation:

#mkdir /usr/lib/xen -p
    #cp /usr/lib/xen-4.1/* -r /usr/lib/xen/

Good luck.

Comment by euler — February 6, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

• Thanks a lot,
    That works like a charm.

Comment by Rahul — February 21, 2012 @ 10:42 pm

• Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using API: Xen 3.0.1
    Cannot extract running Xen hypervisor version

Sort of Solution :
    #sudo -s
    root@xs:~# virsh version
    Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using API: Xen 3.0.1
    Running hypervisor: Xen 4.1.0

but how can i get it to work for user, maybe adding the user to superusers, not the preferred solution.

Any ideas peeps ?

Comment by jim — February 22, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

• Hi dude!
    Help me out..
    I have the same problem as above mention.

root@cluster:~# sudo virsh version
    Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using library: libvir 0.9.2
    Using API: QEMU 0.9.2
    error: failed to get the hypervisor version
    error: internal error Cannot find suitable emulator for i686

I have read all the comments and tried everythng.. But couldn’t solved :(

Comment by Alee — February 23, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

• and one more thing..
    What happen iff i skip it and proceed to next steps??

Comment by Alee — February 23, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

• I have problems on creating domain u.
    Help me.

‘Could not find an installable distribution at ‘http://archive.Ubuntu.com/ubuntu’
    The location must be the root directory of an install tree.’

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py”, line 44, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
    File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py”, line 1899, in do_install
    guest.start_install(False, meter=meter)
    File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/virtinst/Guest.py”, line 1206, in start_install
    self._prepare_install(meter, dry)
    File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/virtinst/Guest.py”, line 963, in _prepare_install
    meter=meter)
    File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/virtinst/DistroInstaller.py”, line 426, in prepare
    dev = self._prepare_kernel_and_initrd(guest, meter)
    File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/virtinst/DistroInstaller.py”, line 365, in _prepare_kernel_and_initrd
    self.os_type)
    File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/virtinst/OSDistro.py”, line 156, in acquireKernel
    scratchdir, type)
    File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/virtinst/OSDistro.py”, line 150, in _acquireMedia
    None, media_cb)
    File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/virtinst/OSDistro.py”, line 129, in _locationCheckWrapper
    arch=arch)
    File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/virtinst/OSDistro.py”, line 112, in _storeForDistro
    baseuri))
    ValueError: Could not find an installable distribution at ‘http://archive.Ubuntu.com/ubuntu’
    The location must be the root directory of an install tree.

Comment by wei — February 25, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

• I follow your words and install the xen 4.1 to my ubuntu 11.10. And I have a question ,how to use the minios?or stubdom?

Comment by tonylyf — March 5, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

• Good Work!. Explains exactly what is needed to do this setup.

Comment by Feroz Zahid — March 18, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

• The solution is by not using sudo anymore, since you’re already signed in as root.

Here is what I tried:

root@smart:~# sudo virsh version
    Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.8
    Using library: libvir 0.9.8
    Using API: QEMU 0.9.8
    error: failed to get the hypervisor version
    error: internal error Cannot find suitable emulator for i686

but if I use it without sudo:

root@smart:~# virsh version
    2012-03-27 05:15:37.473+0000: 20599: info : libvirt version: 0.9.8
    Compiled against library: libvir 0.9.8
    Using library: libvir 0.9.8
    Using API: Xen 0.9.8
    Running hypervisor: Xen 4.1.0

Comment by havban — March 27, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

• I get the same way whether running as root or sudo.

Comment by mike — April 27, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

• Hi Martin,

Thanks for the blog. I freshly installed Ubuntu 11.10 and installed all the necessary packages for xen as you mentioned above. I see xen-4.1-i386.gz in /boot dir but when I do upadate-grub xen kernel entry is not there. I check /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and even there the entry for xen is empty. I don’t know what is going wrong.

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

I also did install linux-image-server but nothing happened …

I tried installing reinstalling multiple times but no luck. I tried this on friend’s laptop and there also it doesn’t work. It just simply doesn’t show up in grub.

Also, may you please give me your grub.cfg file, just to see whats missing.

Comment by mudit — April 27, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

• Hi,

Has anyone tried doing this on ubuntu 12.04?

thanks

Comment by yasz — May 7, 2012 @ 11:38 am

• Hello yaszn i have do this installation on a PE R710 from Dell with an Ubuntu Server 12.04 with GNU/Linux 3.2.0-24-generic x86_64 kernel, and seems to work well.
    However i didn’t install the virtual machine manager.
    I try to manage this hypervisor with XenCenter as my other XenServer in my park, but it doesn’t work :/

If anyone has an idea ;)

Comment by Tosage — May 25, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

• I have tried this on 12.04 and the instruction don’t work.
    The api doesn’t load the xen version only the qemu version for some reason. Will post back if I find a solution.

Comment by ljw — May 26, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

• The solution appeared to be
    In the /etc/xen/xend-config.sexp file, find and uncommont the lines:
    (xend-unix-server no)
    (xend-unix-path /var/lib/xend/xend-socket)
    and change the “(xend-unix-server no)” line to “yes”:
    (xend-unix-server yes)
    Add the bashrc command to roots bashrc
    Add user to libvirtd and kvm groups so that the user can actually use the xen install.

Comment by ljw — May 27, 2012 @ 5:48 am

• Thank you very much , I had successfully installed the XEN hypervisor, the only problem I was getting was that the VM wouldn’t start. It would display that “graphical console is not yet active for guest”
    I solved the problem using the FAQ page of “libvirt” library by executing the following two commands:
    waqar@Waqar:~$ modprobe tun
    waqar@Waqar:~$ virsh net-start default

All is not set !

Thank you for this page, this saved me a lot of time and effort!

Comment by Waqar Ahmed — June 5, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

waqar@Waqar:~$ modprobe tun
    waqar@Waqar:~$ virsh net-start default

All is now set ! (I wrote NOT in the last post while I meant NOW)

Thank you for this page, this saved me a lot of time and effort!

Comment by Waqar Ahmed — June 5, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

• Have you run ‘sudo update-grub’ after installing linux-image-server? That made the xen boot entry available for me.

Comment by Dustin — June 28, 2012 @ 12:06 am

• hi, i need help
    i do as u said install everything and successed.
    however ,when i use xm info it always said that can’t find hypervisor inforamtion in sysfs! when i type brctl show i can see the bridge info. I do not know why.
    suggestion?
    Thanks!

Comment by Liuyu — June 30, 2012 @ 7:04 am

• have u successfully install the Xen?
    i am using the Ubuntu 12.04 and i want to install the Xen X86_64
    when i was following this instruction,
    xm info
    Error: can’t find the hypervisor info in sysfs!
    any suggestion?
    Thanks!

Comment by Liuyu — June 30, 2012 @ 7:07 am

• hi,
    i am now installing the X86_64 on the 12.04 Ubuntu.
    i did followed the instruction however after i install everything.
    i type xm info: error: can’t find hypervisor information in sysfs!
    any suggestion?

Comment by liuyu — June 30, 2012 @ 7:14 am

• have you installed the kernel which support hypervisor?

Comment by euler [weibo] — July 10, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

• 无法完成安装:’POST failure: xend_post:the fault from xen proceed:Fault 3: ‘win7′

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py”, line 45, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
    File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py”, line 1909, in do_install
    guest.start_install(False, meter=meter)
    File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtinst/Guest.py”, line 1236, in start_install
    noboot)
    File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtinst/Guest.py”, line 1304, in _create_guest
    dom = self.conn.createLinux(start_xml or final_xml, 0)
    File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py”, line 2166, in createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError(‘virDomainCreateLinux() failed’, conn=self)
    libvirtError: POST操作失败: xend_post:来自 xen 守护进程的错误:

Comment by xiaofei — July 20, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

• Hi,I wan to install vtpm manager,do you know how to install it ? i’ve already installed xen,tpm-emulator,tpmmanager.Thanks a lot!

Comment by xiaofei — July 26, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

• I am using WUBI in windows 7 and ubunto on dual boot mode , so is it possible for me to use XEN ?

while running this command i get many error messages

I really need a quick reply !!!

Comment by Farooque Hassan — August 13, 2012 @ 1:36 am

• hello,I wan to know how to make it support VTPM?

Comment by xiaofei — August 16, 2012 @ 10:50 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.